DUMBO is a neighborhood in New York City’s borough of Brooklyn that stands for the region “Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.” DUMBO spans the area between the BrooklynBridge and the ManhattanBridge, and from Sands Street east to the East River. Rich in culture, DUMBO is filled with celebrated art galleries, fabulous new restaurants, and a budding nightlife. Located in the neighborhood is the Empire-FultonFerryState Park, which is a beautiful park on the East River with excellent views, as well as an extremely convenient ferry run by the New York Water Taxi company that allows for travel into Manhattan in a matter of minutes. DUMBO is a popular destination for young professionals, families, and older residents alike, and offers historic townhouses, newly build lofts, and luxury high-rises. Along with the ferry, there are many subway lines that travel directly into Manhattan, as well as the Brooklyn and ManhattanBridges that also provide easy travel into the city, giving DUMBO residents the access to Manhattan while still maintaining a more community-like vibe.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE LIVING THERE:
Many new restaurants and cafes can be found throughout DUMBO, including the New York favorite Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory (1 Water Street), which is certainly worth the trip across the bridge. Five Front (5 Front Street) in DUMBO offers delicious comfort food, while Perle (62 Pearl Street) is a chic French option.
Empire-FultonState Park is a favorite area of DUMBO, offering running tracks, playgrounds, great views, and the ferry into Manhattan. A stroll on the BrooklynBridge is also a great way to spend some time, or you can check out one of the many art galleries in the neighborhood, including the famous A.I.R. Gallery. Another fun option is Bargemusic, a boat along the River that offers live classical music.
For more information on art galleries in DUMBO: http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=galleries&find_loc=DUMBO%2C+Brooklyn%2C+NY
The Fulton Ferry offers quick travel into Manhattan’s Financial District, and the BrooklynBridge and the ManhattanBridge are also located in the area for extremely fast access into the city. The F, A, and C trains also go directly into Manhattan from DUMBO in a matter of minutes.
Public schools P.S. 8, P.S. 126, and Murry Bergtraum H.S. are located in DUMBO, as well as the St. JosephSchool and PlymouthChurchSchool.
Fun bars with great views of the Manhattan skyline are what you’ll find when you’re out in DUMBO. Neighborhood favorite DUMBO General Store (111 Front Street) is the perfect place to hang out with friends, while the Water Street Restaurant & Lounge (66 Water Street) is a spacious and chic lounge in the area.
DUMBO is filled with hip boutiques and vintage furniture shops, as well as dessert options like Jacques Torres Chocolate Factory. For more shopping options, Manhattan is only five minutes away.
Other restaurants in DUMBO:
- Bubby’s Brooklyn (1 Main Street)- $$- American
- Grimaldi’s Pizzeria (19 Old Fulton Street)- $- Pizza
- Jacques Torres Chocolate (66 Water Street)- $$- Chocolate Factory
- Miso Sushi (40 Main Street)- $$$- Japanese
- Pete’s Downtown (2 Water Street)- $$- Italian
- The River Café (1 Water Street)- $$$$- American, Great View
- Superfine (126 Front Street)- $$- Classic American
For more restaurants in DUMBO, go to New York Magazine’s restaurant page: http://nymag.com/restaurants/?f=food
Other bars in DUMBO:
- 68 Jay St. Bar (68 Jay Street)- Bar
- Rebar (147 Front Street)- Bar and Lounge
- Speak Up (75 Washington Street)- Bar
- Jack the Horse Tavern (66 Hicks Street)- Tavern
- Low Bar (81 Washington Street)
- Henry Street Ale House (62 Henry Street)- Pub
For more bars in DUMBO, go to New York Magazine’s bars page: http://nymag.com/nightlife/?f=bars
- Gleason’s Gym (77 Front Street, 2nd Floor)
- Solo Fitness (PO Box 21526)
- GoldenBridge Cleaners (149 Front Street)
- Bridgestone Dry Cleaners (109 Front Street)
- Impeccable Impressions Cleaning (45 Main Street)
- Blanc & Rouge Wines & Spirits (81 Washington Street)
- Michael Towne Wine and Spirits (73 Clark Street and 66 Hicks Street)
- J’s Wine and Spirits (102 Jay Street)
- Forager’s Market (56 Adam’s Street)
- Bridge Fresh (68 Jay Street)
- Gristedes Foods Inc. (101 Clark Street)