Chelsea is the neighborhood of New York City on the West Side, located between 34th Street and 14th Street, and west of Sixth Avenue. Famous as a center for art and fashion, the area is one of hottest places to live in the city. From luxury high rises and trendy loft spaces further west, to beautiful townhouses and pre-war co-ops, Chelsea has it all, including the newly built “High Line,” a soon-to-be park that stretches along an elevated, former freight railroad. As the heart of the art world in New York, Chelsea has a trendy atmosphere that is unmatched elsewhere. Notorious nightclubs, over 200 highly respected art galleries, and a plethora of upscale restaurants add to the hip vibe of the area, and living in Chelsea is always an exciting and enjoyable experience. With Chelsea Piers and the Meat Packing District, as well as certain Broadway theaters, entertainment options are abound in this celebrated neighborhood.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE LIVING THERE:
With some of the best options in the city, dining out in Chelsea is sure to be a great experience. For delicious traditional American food, try Cookshop (156 Tenth Ave), and for a Stephen Starr experience, go to famous Buddakan (75 Ninth Ave). Area favorite Co. (230 Ninth Ave) is the place to go for the best pizza in the neighborhood, and El Quinto Pino (401 W. 24th Street) has tasty tapas and Spanish cuisine.
Chelsea is the art center of New York City, and there are over 200 galleries throughout the neighborhood. Chelsea Piers offers lots of entertainment, including a bowling alley, gymnastics pavilion, and ice skating rink. Equally famous is Chelsea Market, with hundreds of vendors of all kinds. The Hudson River Park, spanning the western edge of the neighborhood, is a great recreational respite from the city with running tracks, playgrounds, and more.
For an interactive map of the galleries in Chelsea: http://chelseagallerymap.com/
For more information about Chelsea Market: http://chelseamarket.com/
The B, D, F trains stop along Sixth Avenue, while the A, C, E, and L trains stop at 14th Street and Eighth Ave. The 1,2,3 and the N,R travel down Seventh Avenue. A number of local buses and many taxis are also available.
P.S. 11, P.S. 33, and I.S. 70 are located in Chelsea, as is the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT).
Some of the most notorious nightclubs in the city are located in Chelsea, as are more low-key bars and lounges, making for a fun evening for anyone. Comix (353 W. 14th Street) offers a hip bar coupled with a fantastic comedy club, while famous Marquee (289 Tenth Ave) is a club with many celebrity visitors to its name. Pink NYC (527 W. 27th Street) is an equally notorious NYC hotspot, while Socarrat Bar de Vinos (261 W. 19th Street) offers a cozy, more low-key wine bar.
Shopping in Chelsea is just as trendy as the neighborhood itself. Along 14th Street, top designers including Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, and Diane Von Furstenberg have stores, and there is also an Apple Store and a Barney’s Co-op. The Chelsea Flower Shop is a famous area staple, as is Chelsea Market (mentioned above).
Other restaurants in Chelsea:
- Alonso’s Steakhouse (265 W. 20th Street)- $$$- Steakhouse
- Cafeteria (119 Seventh Ave)- $$- American, Burgers, Open 24 Hours
- La Luncheonette (130 Tenth Ave)- $$- French
- La Taza de Oro (96 Eighth Ave)- $- Latin American
- Matsuri (368 W. 16th Street)- $$- Japanese
- Morimoto (88 Tenth Ave)- $$$$- Upscale Japanese
- The Red Cat (227 Tenth Ave)- $$- Mediterranean
- RUB (203 W. 23rd Street)- $$- BBQ
- Scarpetta (355 W. 14th Street)- $$- Italian
For more restaurants in Chelsea, go to New York Magazine’s restaurant page: http://nymag.com/restaurants/?f=food
Other bars in Chelsea:
- Black Door (127 W. 26th Street)- Neighborhood Favorite, Bar
- The Half King (505 W. 23rd Street)- Traditional Pub
- Jake’s Saloon (206 W. 23rd Street)- Sportsbar
- Norwood (241 W. 14th Street)- Private Club
- Tillman’s Bar & Lounge (165 W. 26th Street)- Traditional Bar
- SL (409 W. 14th Street)- Nightclub
- Velour Lounge (297 Tenth Ave)- Nightclub
For more bars in Chelsea, go to New York Magazine’s bars page: http://nymag.com/nightlife/?f=bars
- Bally Total Fitness (641 Avenue of the Americas)
- New York Sports Club (NYSC) (34 W. 14th Street)
- Equinox (897 Broadway)
- Nice Cleaners (225 W. 23rd Street)
- Tamara Dry Cleaners Corp. (126 Ninth Ave)
- Tower Cleaners (126 Seventh Ave)
- Symphony Cleaners (120 W. 21st Street)
- Chelsea Wine Cellar Inc. (200 W. 21st Street)
- London Terrace Liquor Shop (221 Ninth Ave)
- Clearview Spirits (99 W. 27th Street)
- BottleRocket Wine and Spirit (5 W. 19th Street)
- D’Agostino Supermarket (315 W. 23rd Street)
- Whole Foods (250 Seventh Ave)